The Division of Information Technology (IT) is Florida International University's central technology service provider and is led under the direction of Mr. Robert Grillo, Vice President and Chief Information Officer. It consists of four technology organizational units, including University Technology Services (UTS), the IT Security Office (ITSO), the Center for Internet Augmented Research and Assessment (CIARA) and the Office of the CIO.
About our Vice President & CIO
Mr. Robert Grillo has more than 16 years of leadership experience in information technology services, including executive management, strategic consulting, and project management. Mr. Grillo took office as the Vice President of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer at Florida International University on June 2011. In this position, Mr. Grillo leads a division of more than 200 information technology professionals.
Prior to his appointment as Vice President of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, Mr. Grillo was the Assistant Vice President for the Division of Information Technology. Mr. Grillo began his career in FIU in 2003 when he was hired to manage and lead the enterprise-wide Financial Management Systems implementation. In 2004 he became responsible for implementing the Student Administration system. He was appointed Executive Director of the PantherSoft and Administrative Software unit supporting the academic, research and administrative use of enterprise-wide software. During that tenure, Mr. Grillo was responsible for developing the vision and strategic direction of the University's administrative software platforms. These included the implementation of the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions system, ADP Human Resources, and Image Now enterprise system.
As Assistant Vice President for the Division of Information Technology, Mr. Grillo was responsible for managing PantherSoft, the University's Call Center and Field Team, and Software Licensing/Hardware Repair units. In 2007, Mr. Grillo was appointed by the Miami-Dade County Mayor to the Miami-Dade County Wireless Task Force team. He also led and participates in many academic and administrative committees throughout the University, including the Human Resources and Payroll committee, the new Student Degree Audit System, Administrative Technology Steering Committee, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software selection. Some of Mr. Grillo's accomplishments during his years as Assistant Vice President include:
- Successful management of an operational and strategic budget of over $15 million annually;
- Development of the student and faculty software portal, my.fiu.edu, for integration with core applications and centralized navigation;
- Development and deployment of mobile technologies for students, faculty, and staff;
- Development of a strategic information systems plan aligned with the University's academic and research vision;
- Upgrade to latest technologies in Campus Solutions system and Financial Management System;
- Development and Implementation of Contracts and Grants PeopleSoft system.
Prior to coming to FIU, Mr. Grillo led the consulting division for PeopleSoft Latin America and the Caribbean region. In this capacity, he was responsible for the successful implementation of multiple enterprise-wide applications throughout the region, consulting engagements, regional sales strategy, and generating quarterly revenue for the consulting business unit. Mr. Grillo also worked for Andersen Consulting LLP (currently known as Accenture) as a senior consultant for Fortune 500 companies. At Andersen Consulting, Mr. Grillo was responsible for the successful implementation and upgrade for health care management systems, imaging systems, and claims processing systems for AvMed Health Plans and United Health Care.
Mr. Grillo holds a Bachelor's from Florida International University and a Masters in Finance from Nova Southeastern University.
To support FIU in its pursuit to become a leading student-centered urban public research university that is locally and globally engaged by providing leadership, consultation, service and secure access for the use of technology.
- For our students - to provide a secure environment where technology is accessible.
- For our faculty - to provide the tools and knowledge necessary to integrate technology into the curriculum.
- For our staff - to provide an efficient and effective operation that enables them to carry out their work.
To advance FIU as a leader in using technologies for learning, teaching, research and administration.
Our Core Values:
Teamwork: We work together cooperatively to accomplish our mission.
Excellence: We pursue excellence in all we do.
Innovativeness: We promote new ideas and change.
Service: We listen to our customers and instill in our staff a culture that promotes the best possible service.
Our Strategic Priorities:
- Provide and maintain a more secure computing environment for the FIU community.
- Strengthen student services.
- Enhance the University’s technology emergency response preparedness.
- Support implementation of the College of Medicine.
- Enhance support for academic and research computing activities.
- Enhance support for faculty and teaching activities.
- Strengthen compliance.
- (C) ustomer Service – Provide courteous, knowledgeable, and reliable assistance and consultation in the use of technology.
- (I) nternal Operations – Maintain the most efficient and effective operation to provide to best service possible.
- (P) eople – Attract, develop, and maintain highly qualified staff.
- (Co) llaboration – Work with other technology organizations in the University to achieve our mission.
Our Key Metrics:
C1. Support Center Service Statistics
C2. Resource Center Usage Statistics/Surveys
C3. Number of Technology Equipped Classrooms
C4. Yearly Organizational Surveys
I1. Email Uptime
I2. Network Uptime
I3. PantherSoft Uptime
I4. Annual Work Plans
P1. Training and Skills of Staff
P2. Professional Development Support
Co1. Information Technology Administrator’s Committee (ITA)
Co2. Faculty Senate Technology Committee (FSTC)