Networking & Wireless
Connect to the Internet via FIU’s high-speed wireless network on your laptop or mobile device, or plug in from your desktop for access via an Ethernet cable.
Wired Connection - To register your computer and/or printer, you will need to sign in with your FIU email username and password.
Wireless Connection - To connect to the wireless network, you must log-in to FIU_SECUREWiFi using your FIU email username and password.
(Computers, Smart Phones, Tablets)
In order to connect to the FIU wireless network, you must select FIU_SECUREWiFi as the wireless network and log-in using your MyAccounts credentials. . Your MyAccounts username is your FIU email address minus the "@fiu.edu" portion.
FIU_SECUREWiFi is an encrypted and secure channel to the Internet that can be accessed from any wireless device (iPad, Samsung, Microsoft, etc), with no time-out restrictions.
Most devices are supported by FIU_SECUREWiFi, however if you own an unsupported eBook (Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook) or a gaming console (PlayStation, Xbox, Wii) you will need to connect to FIU_WiFi in order to gain access the Internet.
To log on to FIU_SECUREWiFi, please follow these instructions:
- Select FIU_SECUREWiFi from the list of wireless networks available on your computer.
- When prompted for the username and password, log-in using your MyAccounts username and password. Your MyAccounts username is your FIU email address minus the "@fiu.edu" portion.
- *Please note: To remain connected, ensure that your FIU email password remains updated on your wireless device.
Platforms with specific connection instructions: Click platform name to view instructions.
When joining FIU_SECUREWiFi on a Linux system, the profile has to be manually created and CA Root certificate provided. Click here to download the CA Root certificate.
1. In ubuntu (v12.04), click the Wifi logo at the top right of your screen and join FIU_SECUREWiFi (Skip to Step 3). Should you already have an FIU_SECUREWifi Profile, simply select "Edit Connections..."
2.(FOR EXISTING PROFILES ONLY) Select FIU_SECUREWiFi and click "Edit..."
3. Click the "Wireless Security" tab.
4. Click "Save..."
5. You should now be able to browse the web!
1. Click on the wireless networks detected popup.
2. Double-Click on FIU_SECUREWiFi and wait until Windows displays "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on the network FIU_SECUREWiFi."
3. Single Click on the FIU_SECUREWifi and then click change advanced settings.
4. Select the Wireless Networks tab and verify that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box is checked.
5. Click on the properties button below the list of preferred networks. Be sure that FIU_SECUREWiFi is highlighted.
6. Once in FIU_SECUREWiFi's properties, select the Authentication tab
7. Click on the properties button.
8. Once in the Protected EAP properties, check the "AddTrust External CA Root" box.
9. Click on the configure button next to the "Select Authentication Method:" dropdown. Uncheck the box "Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)" and click "OK".
10. Click "OK" to close the Protected EAP Properties Window.
11. Click "OK" to close the FIU_SECUREWiFi Properties Window.
12. Click "OK" to close the Wireless Network Connection Properties Window.
13. Click on the Local Area Connection popup and enter in your username and password.
14. You should now be able to browse the web!
(eBook Readers, Gaming Consoles, Wireless Printers, & Visitors)
FIU_WiFi is an unencrypted and unsecured channel for unsupported devices and FIU visitors to access the Internet. Depending if you are a student with an unsupported device or a visitor, the way that you will authenticate to the FIU_WiFi wireless network will differ.
(eBook Readers, Gaming Consoles, & some Wireless Printers)
- To log on to FIU_WiFi, please follow these instructions:
- To access FIU_WiFi, you must first register your device through MyFIU. Log-in
to my.fiu.edu and click on the “Device Registration” link under the main menu.
You will need to know the MAC address of your device in order to register it. To find your MAC Address, click here.
- Once your device has been registered, select FIU_WiFi.
Wireless Internet access will be available to visitors on campus via the FIU_WiFi wireless network. Users must create a Guest ID and password to login to the FIU_WiFi network. Once registered, the Guest ID and password will be the same to log-in your other devices. Please note users must accept the User Acceptance Agreement to get access to the internet. The Guest ID is available for 24 hours.
To create a Guest ID, please click here.
Where to Find Wireless Coverage Areas
Click on an image below to view a list of available wireless coverage areas within that location. Please note the wireless coverage areas shown only represent Division of IT-managed coverage locations with "Excellent" to "Good" signal quality. Any wireless coverage areas not managed or supported by the Division of IT will not be shown. Also note that the Division of IT is implementing a strategic initiative to provide complete wireless coverage on all FIU campuses. The information below indicates the current status of our wireless network enhancement.