After a successful yearlong pilot, we are happy to announce that Zoom will become FIU’s official web conferencing application for real-time course lectures, meetings, and tutoring.
Zoom is a reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat, and webinars across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. This tool also allows faculty, staff, and students to host their own video conferences from their own devices and offers multiple integration options including Outlook, Google, and the Canvas LMS.
- April 8: Zoom will be available to the FIU community, but users will still have access to use Adobe Connect. We encourage all users to migrate their content from their Adobe Connect account to Zoom by the end of the Summer semester. To request to have your recordings migrated to Mediasite, please complete this form.
- August 26: Zoom will be the preferred web conferencing solution and Adobe Connect will be available only in an archive mode. This means users will be able to view and access old meetings and recordings but will not be able to create new content in Adobe Connect.
- January 1, 2020: Zoom is fully adopted. All access to Adobe Connect will be removed. All Adobe Connect recordings will be archived and stored by Media Technology Services and will be available by request.
- Starting Monday, April 8, all faculty, staff, and students will be able to log in to Zoom at zoom.fiu.edu with their FIU username and password. All users will automatically have host access.
- If you created a personal Zoom account using your FIU email, your account will be merged with the FIU Zoom account. You will get an email with more information before your Zoom account is merged.
Recording in Zoom
- All Zoom users will have the capability to record their meetings locally to a computer and then uploaded to a file storage website like Mediasite.
- FIU faculty accounts have access to Zoom cloud recording. Recordings that are saved to the Zoom Cloud will only be stored for 365 days. Click here to view the Zoom Cloud Recording Retention Policy.
- FIU staff can request access to Zoom cloud recording from Media Technology Services.
Division of IT and FIU Online will host online Zoom training workshops during the transition period.
- Thursday, November 14 at 1 p.m.
Click here to register for FIU Zoom Training.
- Wednesday, April 10 at 11 a.m. – click here to view the online recording for this training.
- Wednesday, April 17 at noon – click here to view the online recording for this training.
- Wednesday, April 24 at 11 a.m. – click here to view the online recording for this training.
- Thursday, October 24 at 1 p.m. – click here to view the online recording for this training.
- Monday, November 4 at 1 p.m. – click here to view the online recording for this training.
In addition, a variety of on-demand training videos are available from Zoom.
If you have questions regarding the Zoom migration related to Canvas, please contact FIU Canvas Support Services at 305-348-3630. For all other Zoom migration questions, contact Media Technology Services at 305-348-2814.